Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Board Archives > Archive Game & Support > Suggestions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want ingame Chat
YES, it would be nice and i see many benefits 7 41.18%
YES, i would like to have a chat 2 11.76%
I dont really care about chat 2 11.76%
NO, i dont like ingame chats 1 5.88%
NO,having a chat would hurt/break the game 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th June 2014, 05:14 AM
Adventurer

Default We need Global Chat (or not?)

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but because i don't see any recent discussions about it i started this thread

We need ingame Chat

or don't we?

Personally i think the lack of global (ingame) chat or even a shoutbox is this game's biggest flaw, and my biggest hope is this will be added to our loved game soon

Shakes & Fidget is an MMO (Massive Multiplayer Game) but not having a global chat for all users on a server to use limits the social and PvP aspects of the game greatly

Of course there is the forum and the forum also has chat, but since many players never visit these forums (or even sign up for it), plus the facts that people that are here come from different servers and have to switch tabs/windows to view it during gameplay, imho it is unsuitable to function as a proper place for players to meet

What can be the pros of ingame chat:
- A place where new players can be instantly immersed to the game, making it less likely that someone quits playing after a day or two
- A place to ask fellow online players for help and info about the game, without having to browse away to the forums
- A place to request to be added to a guild and for guild advertising looking for members
- A better way to define player activity, making it easier to find friends, invite people to guild etc
- An improvement to the PvP aspect of the game, making it more interesting and stimulating players to be more competitive
- A general place for players on a server to have fun
- A place for Playa to advertise special (limited, spontanious, surprise and or even server specific) promotions/events

What can be the cons of ingame chat:
- Making the game slightly more difficult (e.g. watching out not to walk with around with too much gold that can be stolen - this can also be seen as pros for PvP/Gameplay wise)
- Spammers, flamers, bashers, etc will always come. However there should be the standard ways to deal with this (flood timers, report buttons and/or moderators)
- Server load? (technical)

Features of the suggested chat/shoutbox system:
- Always visible on any screen EXCEPT the Guild screen, where people can chat amongst guildmembers. Maybe a small section on the right side of the screen from top to bottom
- Chat ON/OFF button, to show or hide the chat
- Limited chat history (say about 3 times the text viewable at once) and making history reachable by scrolling down
- Ignore Player checkbox, maybe on a Player's Character screen so ignoring can also be turned off when visiting a certain ignored Player's Character screen and pressing the button

OPTIONAL Features of the suggested chat/shoutbox system:
- Automated messages of Player/Guild accomplishments (e.g. 'Player X had reached level 10/finished Dungeon 1/4', 'Guild Y has defeated Guild X in battle', etc
- Emotes
- Limited use of smilies and colors

Now some of you might think: That's all nice but we already have Guild Chat, why need global?
First let me say Guild Chat is limited, and although i do think this could use some work, i do think that's another issue

The way things are now it's next to impossible for new players and players that prefer NOT to be in a guild(yet) to have any social interactivity with other players
It is very hard to find an active guild too, and opposite to that it's very hard for Guilds to find new members in a big list of much inactive accounts
Also not having a proper chat makes the game more like a plain idling game, making players look away to other places/sites while waiting for a certain timer to finish

Now i already typed a wall of text and compliments to you for reading through it all, now please give me your opinion

Vote in the poll and motivate your choice/opinion for discussion

Last edited by Spruitje; 28th June 2014 at 05:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spruitje For This Useful Post:
Leander (30th June 2014)
Old 28th June 2014, 10:41 AM
Mighty Weekend Hero

Unfortunately it won't work. Someone must oversees ii 24h per day. In MMO chat usually is divided regionally, in S&F chat can't be divided like that. If all players post on the same chat it become unreadable. Right now people complain about spamming on pw, now add global chat.... do i need to say anything^^.
Old 28th June 2014, 10:51 AM
Golden Shroomer

I know it has been mentioned in the past on the US forum and from my understanding at least up to now playa wont do a world/server chat for 1 they would need to have it monitored 24/7 if you think things are bad enough from some ppl now with just mail and whispers wc would make it 10 times worse.

so for now don't expect to see that one ever or at least anytime soon
Old 28th June 2014, 12:34 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bqczek View Post
Unfortunately it won't work. Someone must oversees ii 24h per day. In MMO chat usually is divided regionally, in S&F chat can't be divided like that. If all players post on the same chat it become unreadable. Right now people complain about spamming on pw, now add global chat.... do i need to say anything^^.
About overseeing 24hrs in case of abuse, i don't agree
I play and have played so many games with chats and most seem to manage fine

Of course a chat must be limited to the server it's on, and so must the language be the same as the server, this is not impossible, its just a technical hurdle thats far from impossible to implement

Those who don't like it could always choose to not look at it or hide the chatwindow altogether of course

Also a lot of spamming can be prevented automatically (flood timers, filter words, prohibiting of posting links etc) and combined with user report buttons spammers can be spotted and dealed with quickly
I am sure there are a lot of regular players who would volunteer as chat moderator to keep an eye on things too

I have never encountered spamming in pm or mail, and even here the biggest issue people have with those i guess is a flooded mailbox because of the flaws/limitations of the current mail system
Here also it should be made available to ignore certain players (just like its done in so many other places )

So if technicals (regional/location) issues can be fixed, and spamming can be limited/dealed with you don't see any pros for ingame chats??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo baggins
I know it has been mentioned in the past on the US forum and from my understanding at least up to now playa wont do a world/server chat for 1 they would need to have it monitored 24/7 if you think things are bad enough from some ppl now with just mail and whispers wc would make it 10 times worse.

so for now don't expect to see that one ever or at least anytime soon
Like i stated above, most of the 'monitoring' could be done by fellow players and volunteer mods, and i do think people are more concerned with a flooded mailbox, than whatever is posted in an onflowing chat?
Also again ignoring players should be available and chat should be able to hide/turn off, things you cannot do with ingame mail

I still think the positive side outweigh the negative ones by far, and there is much more to gain for the whole community (player interaction) and for Playa (more active players/possible shroomers) than to lose (a potential 'annoying' feature that can be selfregulated by reporting/ignoring or turning off)

Last edited by Spruitje; 28th June 2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 28th June 2014, 01:03 PM
Epic Raid Leader

In my opinion the game needs much more than what it currently has for a server chat. At the moment it would be partially useless. There is no real interaction between players besides the pvp aspect. If we had trading etc, then maybe. But then again, it is not (in my opinion) what the game really lacks
Born: 15/9/10
Forum Moderator: 16/4/13

Last edited by GeorgeKen; 28th June 2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 28th June 2014, 02:45 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldur View Post
In my opinion the game needs much more than what it currently has for a server chat. At the moment it would be partially useless. There is no real interaction between players besides the pvp aspect. If we had trading etc, then maybe. But then again, it is not (in my opinion) what the game really lacks
Well interaction is what it should increase, and PvP aspect is virtually non-existent especially on some servers and even more for solo/guildless players

Attacking players is like a big lottery, selecting one from a big pool of mostly inactive accounts and hoping you will find one that's active and has some gold to steal
Now you just grind attacks inactive or not, to up those statistics that gives you the bonus of total wins, and do a crazy happy dance if you earn some gold with it

By using chat you could at least spot more active players(this would appeal to other suggestions too, e.g. an player online list which afaik is not gonna happen too anyway)
Stealing gold/keeping yours save would become much more of a sport
A few tweaks to the 'save time' after attack/being attacked and the time you can attack the same player again would greatly improve this competitive part of PvP

Now new players come in, have no way of interaction, get confused or have questions, oversee things and in the end quit before e.g. a guild spots them(if ever) and they can taste from the social aspects (a limited guild chat)
Yes there are forums(with chat) but if i compare 40 miliion registrations mentioned elsewhere and total members of the forums i think it's fair to say not even 5% ever visit/registers at the forum (the manual completion of forum registration by Playa staff is also a big handicap in this i guess...but again thats a whole other issue)

I agree there is much more to add or to improve to the game, but that's not the purpose of this thread
That and imho it doesnt seem like a big change to the game itself, just an improvement that should be easy to implement/add (hey it's chat, it's not like reinventing the wheel) instead a a whole new feature that needs developing, testing, balancing etc etc

S&F just had it's 5th birthday which is a big achievement for a game of this type and bravo Playa seems still to be developing things and releasing upgrades

Fact is that S&F is aging harder than rejuvenating with those upgrades and compared to many other (some newer) games of other developers and of same genre it lacks social interactivity and nerfs it's own PvP, imo mainly by not having a chat

The way this game is meant to be played (mostly waiting for timers) there is room for chat, something to do while waiting for those
I used to know plenty players that played S&F and similar games by other devs, playing S&F secondary, moving to 'the other game' to chat while timers finished
With adding chat (and of course us players being a little social there) S&F could be their PRIMARY game, while casually clicking things to start timers elsewhere

Old 28th June 2014, 03:21 PM
Golden Shroomer

I don't know how it is on the servers u play on but I know there is a lot of bad blood between some guilds on the ones I play/ed on and Issues rise up with just mail and whispers not just imagine those same ppl being able to chat in a world chat it would b non stop chaos and I believe this is one of the reasons why playa hasn't and most likely wont add it to the game.

don't get me wrong if everyone could play nice in a world chat I would be all for it but I just don't see it happening.
Old 28th June 2014, 04:43 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo baggins View Post
I don't know how it is on the servers u play on but I know there is a lot of bad blood between some guilds on the ones I play/ed on and Issues rise up with just mail and whispers not just imagine those same ppl being able to chat in a world chat it would b non stop chaos and I believe this is one of the reasons why playa hasn't and most likely wont add it to the game.

don't get me wrong if everyone could play nice in a world chat I would be all for it but I just don't see it happening.
First of all, it's almost impossible to know how it is on my server, since i am new, and the game lacking any social/player interaction etc etc

Second i think my server (s3 NL) is kinda dead, but hey at registration the game RECOMMENDED this server to me (another BIG flaw)

A little 'chaos' as you call it can be nice, however any form of harrasment in the form of flaming, bashing etc etc would regulate itself IF players use the available features mentioned (ignore player=problem solved) and in extreme cases a reporting bad behaviour to Playa and/or actions taken by (volunteer) moderaters, the way it's done on EVERY other decent working chat (e.g. not the abandoned, anarchic etc etc chats)

Obviously a chat should have rules, similar to forum and forum chat rules
Initially such a feature(chat) might spawn some choas (if any) but the worst would regulate itself in some way or another in the very first days
People ignore those who annoy
People warn who step out of bounds
Moderators/Playa take action against 'returning offenders' with various measures like temporary chatroom bans (by moderators) and or temporary or even permanent ACCOUNT bans (by Playa) depending on the weight and frequency of such a violation

The way you state it there is some sort of harrasment/flame war going on on your server in pm/mail (or so i understand from your words)
Offended individuals MIGHT sometimes report such an offending player, making it 1 report against them for Playa

If such a player offends/violates in a chatroom, more players could spot this and take action by pressing report, making multiple reports against that player for Playa, and making it possible for Playa to take actions accordingly much faster

Being more in the open and having consequences for bad behaviour would make most players think twice before misbehaving (read MOST, there are always the dumb rotten apples that will need to be filtered out anywhere )

Now maybe above won't help the original issue(bad behaviour in MAIL) but i fail to see why it would effect a chat negatively in the long run

Again is MMO - Massive Multiplaye -Online, and where masses of people gather there is bound to be misbehaviour and conflict
It's up to the majority to take steps against such things, if not whats the use of MMO??
Why say better not start such things because 1 out of 100 might misbehave, even though there are ways to deal with it

The way it is now, and expecting bad to worse behaviour from anyone up front then maybe it's better for each player to have it's own private server filled with semi-automatic bots and inactive bot accounts

Old 28th June 2014, 11:25 PM
Golden Shroomer

AS for the bad behavior on my server at 1 time I played on 12 servers s1-s10 US (still play on s3, s9 and s10) s1 Canada and s2 UK and on all of them there has been bad blood between at least 2 guilds if not more to make having a world chat not a good idea on other games I play they have it and yeah at most times things are ok but when it explodes boy does it explode. you have to hope ppl are on that can contact devs to muted the ppl and if not it can go on for hours.
one game I play u can only talk to ppl in your faction there r no guilds and the infighting can b so bad that I have almost quit a few times and others have this is with ppl on same team as u and there is not way to switch which faction u r in so u have to either deal with it or quit. yes they have it to where u can block ppl but makes chat weird when ppl r talking to a blocked player.

would I like a server chat yes would love it. would it be a good fit for shakes and fidget from what I have seen it would be the worst idea for playa to ever allow it.
Old 29th June 2014, 04:56 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo baggins View Post
AS for the bad behavior on my server at 1 time I played on 12 servers s1-s10 US (still play on s3, s9 and s10) s1 Canada and s2 UK and on all of them there has been bad blood between at least 2 guilds if not more to make having a world chat not a good idea on other games I play they have it and yeah at most times things are ok but when it explodes boy does it explode. you have to hope ppl are on that can contact devs to muted the ppl and if not it can go on for hours.
one game I play u can only talk to ppl in your faction there r no guilds and the infighting can b so bad that I have almost quit a few times and others have this is with ppl on same team as u and there is not way to switch which faction u r in so u have to either deal with it or quit. yes they have it to where u can block ppl but makes chat weird when ppl r talking to a blocked player.

would I like a server chat yes would love it. would it be a good fit for shakes and fidget from what I have seen it would be the worst idea for playa to ever allow it.
First of all, i respect your opinion they way you try to discuss things bobo baggins although i still do not agree

The way i understand it from you there is outright hatred between current players on multiple servers, and fighting/harrasment amongst a certain amount of players almost constantly
Let me say that harrasment is already against Playa's rules and offended people or 'innocent'-victims of this should already be reporting this
If Playa does not uphold it's own rules and do nothing about this then yes i agree, all is lost, and they better remove all rules, allow misbehaviour or pull the plug on the game period

I still however fail to see how adding a chat would be hurting the game or even be gamebreaking at this point
Again, turn off chat(if it would exist, it's obvious that this percentage does not want to have any form of social interactivity besides their own guild maybe
It's hard for me to believe that the misbehaviour includes 100% of the active playerbase and so a small group would spoil it for the majority
I even fail to see what is the problem NOW, even without chat as there are plenty ways to take action and solve these issues now at this moment (provided that Playa does uphold their own rules and take actions accordingly)

If nobody is around to report fighting members in chat, members that are already fighting in mail before such a chat would even exist, then nobody besides the offenders is bothered by that any way(at that moment)
Even if reports are made one could never expect actions being made by any moderator or even Playa right at that moment, but when reports are made things get logged and can get looked in to at any later moment

Like i said, if situations are that bad NOW, S&F just has a very bad community AT THIS MOMENT and my opinion is that a chat can only help 'heal' these issues in the longer run

I do agree with you that these things are bothersome, but i do not think they are gamebreaking, so your choice might have been better: NO i dont like chat in the poll??

Also there are more people choosing for gamebreaking/hurting the game, but none of those dare to add to this discussion, which saddens me
Looking at those users i already know that these are shroomers and in general not the most social people in this game anyway

This make me wonder why they have chosen this option

Are they worried the game might improve for others thus for them resulting to having to spend more shrooms to be 'competitive' against more players?

In essence i think 'Gamebreaking' would be impossible, because it changes nothing to the gameplay of the game which stays exactly like it is

If it's going to hurt the game, that i don't know, although i personally don't believe that
People are not going to sign up because there is a chat?
Or people are going to leave because there is a chat that they can turn off forever and never be bothered with again?
Both seem very unlikely to me

I would love to hear a CoMa's (Leander??) opinion on this or better yet some official statement by Playa itself