Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard  

Go Back   Shakes & Fidget - The Game - Supportboard > Game & Support > Bugs & Complaints

Notices

Old 23rd April 2019, 08:32 PM
Toy Bow Toddler

Default Fortress Defenses

As many already know, fortress defenses are pretty much a counter intuitive feature as it is and only harm the person having them. Not only having them results in you losing more resources long term due to suffering through big attacks every 24 hours (instead of losing pretty much nothing and having the protection refreshed), but they also result in weakening your ability to farm resources and gain honor through counter attacks.
Now as long as you can decide to just not recruit those units, the feature is just useless and ridiculous, but there is a point where it becomes gamebreaking.

We all know endgame S&F is pretty boring, but there is still a couple things to play for, you can invest in your attributes, keeper and gain fortress honor endlessly, which gives you 3 ladders to compete in. Thing is, when you play long enough and develop your fortress fully (which is a natural course of action, as you want to enable yourself with progressing gem mine and getting those last achievements) you actually end up permanently crippling yourself. People no longer attack you all the time cause of the Wall alone and you start losing resources more, start gaining them less and more importantly - you're no longer able to compete in the Fortress ladder properly. I think the max level Wall as it is now is gamebreaking. You need to develop it to max to naturally progress in the game, and you end up excluding yourself from competition in 1 of 3 aspects left in the game.
In my opinion it requires a change.

Best thing to do here is probably deleting all those 3 buildings completely (Wall, Mage Tower, Archer's Guild) as it is a useless feature to say the least and finally getting rid of it would make the game elegant.

Second best thing is to keep the feature useless and not gamebreaking by enabling players to decide on not having defenses (that solution requires stripping Wall from its own defensive value and making it rather a feature that amplifies power of recruited archers and mages)

Third thing (that one is risky, cause you don't want to strip players of their earned up to date progress, therefore don't want to make already collected Fortress Honor mean less than it is now)
That would adjust the Honor gains in a manner where defenses mean something and getting invaded actually hurts you
So potentially increasing honor gain for a attack win from 1 to 3
and increasing honor loss for being attacked (succesfully) from 0 to 2.
But it's important to be aware that the 3rd solution would also further benefit those that already grind honor fortress by using bots. (they get their honor from the refresh every 5 minutes mechanic rather than counter)

I personally advocate for option 1, but being realistic and seeing how devs would not want to get rid of content they've put in work to develop, option 2 would at least restore some sense in lategame SF (and should also be very easy from programming point of view). As it is, the conflict of interest and punishment for trying to fully complete certain parts of the game/content resulting in a permanent disability to then compete in 1 of the ladders is just something that can't be.

Last edited by Bachor Gray; 23rd April 2019 at 08:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bachor Gray For This Useful Post:
Fantasy (24th April 2019)
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:22 PM
Mighty Hero

I'm 100% sure that playa developers still don't get your point after people spent years trying to have a change in those features.

They are convinced that building defences is the right way to play
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:34 PM
Toy Bow Toddler

I've done some googling and a brief research on those previous posts about Fortress and I believe none of them touched on what I'm talking about here,
resources have been talked about in the past on the forum, people were bringing up mostly the protection issue and as much as I agree, that it's optimal to not recruit archers and mages (which makes the feature pointless) it's not the heaviest of issues as long as you can just refuse to recruit them.
Technically then, it's not as much a problem as it is bad design.
Also, lets keep in mind that before the ability to develop gem mine beyond 20 was introduced not that long ago, resources were becoming useless relatively soon into the game progression.
Right now it is a problem, and most importantly, there is no workaround.
It's natural for you to want to complete achievements,
it's natural for you to want to progress fortress to max in order to keep up with other players and their gems, you can't level mine beyond 20 without completing the fortress first, thing is - when you do complete it - you are permanently ruined and there is no loophole for you, you can't just disable/stop recruiting the Wall, and the lvl 20 Wall is enough to discourage players from attacking you, which prevents you from doing Counters and compete with the hardcore Fortress Hall of Fame players, some might say that rank is tedious (but please remember this is a browser game, so I disagree that there is an issue with 'grindy' character of that ladder) and that ladder is one of VERY FEW things left to do in the late game. It's essential for you to be able to progress with fortress, achievements and gem mine and it's wrong that progressing excludes you from 1 of 3 ladders the game revolves around (noticably, the only ladder that isn't supported by pay2win mechanic).
It was never been discussed before.

@edit
One more thing.
I'm not sure Playa rejected proposals of changes to Fortress Defenses in the past.
From what I've seen, all the previous threads/discussions about it did a pretty poor job describing the issue and didn't even attract Leanders attention, none of those posts in the past actually proposed any solutions and therefore nothing was forwarded.

Last edited by Bachor Gray; 23rd April 2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 24th April 2019, 03:01 PM
Community Manager

Gilde: UK forum

Deleting buildings won't be implemented. The purpose of fortifications isn't to keep others from attacking you entriely but making it more difficult. Same for the scouts and mages.

Shakes & Fidget Community Manager

Like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Old 24th April 2019, 03:29 PM
Toy Bow Toddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
Deleting buildings won't be implemented. The purpose of fortifications isn't to keep others from attacking you entriely but making it more difficult. Same for the scouts and mages.
Yes i suspected it won't be.

We all know what the current purpose of the fortifications is.

The problem with it is that this very purpose works to disadvantage of the player that builds it, when obviously it should be the other way around. That's what this thread is about, that's what i stressed multiple times.

My whole post is about the fact that the way Hall of Fame works is not consistent with the idea of not being attacked being desirable,

not consistent with "making it more difficult" as you put it, being a good thing.

Current state of Fortress Hall of Fame clearly creates an environment where being attacked is desirable, so making it more difficult works against you.

So the key question is:
Are we gonna pretend that it's perfectly okay for players to be forced into that awful position of having to take actions against their best interest in order to complete Achievements and be able to proceed with Gem Mine beyond 20 or are we gonna agree that this is in fact an issue?

Could you please address exactly that in your response, and not ignore everything I'm basically trying to talk about here?

Last edited by Bachor Gray; 24th April 2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 24th April 2019, 04:01 PM
Mighty Hero

After Leanders' reply you got my point dear Bachor
Old 24th April 2019, 04:06 PM
Toy Bow Toddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gully View Post
After Leanders' reply you got my point dear Bachor
I'm scared that I do haha, but I'm still willing to give him benefit of the doubt and say that he didn't read my post entirely. Maybe focusing directly on that last question will finally make him realise what it's about and how the current state is broken.
Old 24th April 2019, 04:18 PM
Mushroom Collector

Its funny how you suggest very complicated and complex solutions (which can lead to complete chaos in system) only not to ruin your personal strategy (not to mention you completely forget old servers). If the problem is so big, lets make easy solution and remove counterattack completely. Then you will not desire to be attacked and evenrything will be fine, right?
Old 24th April 2019, 04:21 PM
Toy Bow Toddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bortas View Post
Its funny how you suggest very complicated and complex solutions (which can lead to complete chaos in system) only not to ruin your personal strategy (not to mention you completely forget old servers). If the problem is so big, lets make easy solution and remove counterattack completely. Then you will not desire to be attacked and evenrything will be fine, right?
Absolutely. That works as well.
Believe me I simply didn't think of that, don't assume bad faith on my part.
I didn't think of old servers cause I've never played on any.
Old 24th April 2019, 04:43 PM
Mighty Hero

Well, on old servers it's the exact same

We are maxed out and we just attack people maxed out without defences, 10 warriors win against maxed walls.

If i need wood/stone i coordinate a big attack w/ a guildmate
The Following User Says Thank You to Gully For This Useful Post:
beroun (28th April 2019)